Tuesday, February 15, 2011

25# a Day?!

I think about getting a milk cow for our little patch of land. Apparently, I'm quite talking out of my ass still. This is why it's good that the dream is still so far off...I've got some serious researching to do.

Throwback to Trapper Creek says she's feeding her 9-month (aka nowhere near fully grown) milk calf a regimen of milk replacer, daily pasturing, and then 25 pounds of hay at night with some grain. That's like, half a small bale! That tells me that for just one milk cow, I would need to grow a field of hay on top of buying from outside, just to keep the cow in feed. That expands my acreage needs and increases the whole package. I'm also betting that if I were to try like, 3 goats or sheep instead of 1 cow, I'd easily be talking about the same or more in feed. So I definitely have to research more and put some reins on my initial dreams.

No comments: