Friday, July 22, 2011

Homestead Revival


So I troll for blogs on a fairly regular basis, as a means of relieving boredom at work. My current interests lie in making a home for Les and I (and our hopeful children, or animals, or whatever crosses the threshold)...somewhere, where I can actually have people over. We haven't been able to entertain at the apartment for literally years; it's a smoky cave of a place piled high with boxes and the detritus of 13 years of packratting in the same space (and it's barely 800 square feet). So I dream of renting a house, where Les will smoke outside (he's agreed to this, thank goodness...I hate reeking of smoke when I'm not the smoker), and decorating it a bit, and finally indulging in the small touches of light and warmth, from real curtains to preserving food to keeping plants and animals, so many things that go into making a home. I finally understand why my pal R said she swore by Martha Stewart when she first got married. I turned my nose up at that snobby perfectionist (Martha, not R) at the time, but I totally get it now, because I've been scouring the web for homemaking blogs for a while now, and from Martha to Pioneer Woman and all the rest, there's some amazing ideas out there, very bright, mostly women who have worked hard to recognize and practice what goes into making a home.

The roadblock I'm stepping over frequently though, is that many of the homemaking blogs out there are by women who have been saved, devout Christians who aren't afraid at all of pushing their religion out into the world, while simultaneously living according to an anti-feminist, overtly modest, and Titus-referencing mindset. It's confusing, and more than a little off-putting to this admitted pagan, and with the exception of a rare few that in spite of their heavy Christian overtones, are beautifully written and so graphically pleasing that I can't help loving them (in particular, Eyes of Wonder and Rosie's Ramblings, something about that family has me hooked), I find myself dropping them and wandering yet again.

Then I happened upon Homestead Revival this week, and I'm once again completely smitten. As you read into the archives, you're once again struck by the Christian faith aspect, but it's more lightly done, and the mission tenets of the Homestead Revival, while possibly unintentional, are written to appeal to any faith.

The Homestead Revival™ Mission:
  • Return to the basics
  • Live closer to the land
  • Strengthen the family through homemaking
  • Embrace being a keeper of the home
  • Encourage the next generation in homesteading skills
  • Build community through sharing
Sure, that fourth one is probably meant for women to follow the Titus path by being homemakers ONLY (and no, I'm not minimizing it, just noting the rule they—literal Old Testament readers—have that says that women shouldn't work outside of the home), but I'm in a marriage where that's possibly never going to be realistic, plus I definitely have a feminist streak. Does that mean I can't apply these concepts to my own life? Of course not! The blog is a goldmine of recipes, ideas, and how-to's, and there's a pile of other bloggers she's noted who are also making it work by living off the land. I wish I had the weekend to troll the archives, but we're going to SC, where computer time is scarce. Whatever, I can't wait to read more!

No comments: